AARP's Boomer Superstar Contest - Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I have to be an AARP member to enter the contest?
No, you do not. You do, however, need to be a legal U.S. resident of the 50 states and D.C., as well as been born between 1946 and 1964.
2. Why is the singing contest limited to Baby Boomers?
In 2014, all of the Baby Boomers will have turned 50. As part of the celebration of the Baby Boomer generation, AARP is hosted the Boomer Superstar contest to shine a light on Baby Boomer talent.
3. What is the deadline for entry?
You must complete the entry process and upload your video by 11:59pm on July 11, 2014.
4. Can I enter the contest by sending AARP a cassette tape or video tape of my performance?
No. All contest entries must be submitted via the contest website.
5. Can I sing whatever song I would like?
No. AARP can only accept submissions of songs that are licensed through the licensing organizations BMI and ASCAP. Be sure to check that your song is included in the repertoire of one of these organizations by visiting their website at https://www.ascap.com/Home/ace-title-search/index.aspx and http://repertoire.bmi.com/startpage.asp.
6. When I click on "Enter Now!," the website asks me to register for AARP. I am already an AARP member – do I still have to register?
AARP.org registration is different than AARP membership. AARP.org registration is free to anyone, and in addition to allowing you to enter the Boomer Superstar contest, it will also allow you to access to exclusive content, online games, and other AARP sweepstakes and contests. Note - you must register or sign in to AARP.org in order to enter the Boomer Superstar contest or Sweepstakes.
PROBLEMS ENTERING THE CONTEST
1. I get an error message when I try to upload my video. What should I do?
First, make sure that your video is under 100MB file size. If it is bigger than 100MB, you need to save your file into a smaller size.
If your file size is under 100MB, but you are still having trouble, please contact the Help Line by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. I submitted my video and received a message on my screen saying that it was successfully received, but when I look in the gallery, I can't find it.
All submissions must be reviewed to ensure compliance with contest rules before they will be posted to the gallery. Please allow 72 hours for your video to appear on the site. If it has been more than 72 hours, please contact the Help Line by emailing email@example.com.
The 30 semi-finalists will be announced on the website (http://www.aarp.org/BoomerSuperstar) on July 15, 2014. Check back then to see if you were selected!
WHAT IS THE RELATIONSHIP WITH AMERICAN IDOL LIVE?
1. It says that the contest is "Powered by American Idol Live 2014" - what does that mean?
AARP and American Idol Live 2014 are partnering on this contest. American Idol Live 2014 producers (19 Entertainment) will assist in the contest judging, plus, 19 Entertainment is offering a grand prize of an audition for their music label.
2. Will the Boomer Superstar winner appear on TV or on American Idol?
No. AARP's Boomer Superstar contest does not have any relationship with the television program, American Idol. The winner will not appear on the American Idol TV show.